Pages

Comments are welcome and very much appreciated!

Monday, November 28, 2022

The Church Sizzix Tim Holtz

 

Good morning crafty friends!

Yes, first of all, these dies have been sitting in my craft room unused for years.
These are the original steel rule big dies from Sizzix.
I always wanted to play with them and this year was finally the year to do it.
What got me started was the mansion at Halloween for my daughter, (her birthday is Halloween).  I always try to do something different for her but this year I was coming up short of ideas until I looked up and saw the big dies I never used!
So, I made her the cutest haunted house ever all lit up on the inside with purple Halloween tiny lights.  I loved it so much I almost didn't send it to her!! LOL!
Well, that got me started.  Next, I made the regular size church (still using the same steel rule dies) for my sister who really loves churches.  It was similar to what you see here only on a smaller scale, I did not use the mansion piece, nor did I expand the width.
Here are a few pictures of the church I made for our family.
 
I used a shadow box upside down for my stand, this works perfectly for hiding tiny light switches inside.  I used some of Tim's new adhesive Christmas plaid ribbon on the outside of the box, painted the rest with white and used a palette knife to add Snow-Tex and glitter.
I drilled small holes for the trees and a larger hole for the wires to come up from under the box to the inside and outside of the church, none of that shows of course.

The trees just have a bit of white gesso painted on them then glittered.

I used the cobblestone embossing folder from Sizzix to make the stone part of the building, steps and walkway.
The wreath was made with some of the greenery Tim released this year at Christmas. (I got most everything from Simon Says Stamps.  I picked from Sizzix folders and Idea-ology (I already had the Sizzix Dies).


From this photo of the whole church, you can see that I used pieces from the Mansion and also that I expanded the sides to make it a larger scale church than the original.


Sizzix does not make these dies anymore BUT, they make all the pieces for all the buildings in 1 set now, they are just on a little smaller scale.
I resisted the new dies for as long as I could because of having MOST of the large ones but I finally gave in and recently purchased the smaller set of the Village Collection.


Even the little bell is from Idea-ology.

I'm hoping you can see that the windows (which are pieces of Mica) have been dyed on the inside with a combo of pinks, yellows and purple alcohol inks to make some "stained glass windows".



When I was finished putting everything together and stuffing tiny lights (clear) inside the church, I glued it to the base along with everything else and touched up the texture paste around the building base.
I glued my tiny Christmas lights onto the outside of the church, glued my tiny wreath with red ribbon and 2 gold half balls on the doors for knobs.
If you are curious about the building siding there are several You Tube videos out there, including one from Tim Holts (the Haunted Mansion).
For the widening of the church, there is no pattern, I just measured and cut my own extra panels with tabs for gluing.  Once the siding is on you can't see where the seams were.
So, this was me finally using my dies!
I'm so proud of myself, LOL!
Hope you enjoyed this little project, it was a lot of work, but I loved it!
Now, don't be telling my sister that she got a smaller church!

Thanks for visiting!
Robin

Luke 2:6-14 

And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.[c]

The Shepherds and the Angels

And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with great fear. 10 And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest,

    and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”[d]

4 comments:

Terry Law said...

This is amazing Robin! Gorgeous! <3

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning work 😍

Kat White said...

My daughter was also born on Halloween and I have made quite a few. They are fun to make. More inspiration is a plus.
Kat White

Kat White said...

Any time